In the latest episode of Books and Ideas we celebrate our 9th anniversary by talking with Matthew Cobb about his latest book Life's Greatest Secret: The Race to Crack the Genetic Code. Some parts of this story were familiar to me, but I particularly enjoyed talking about two lesser known scientists Oswald Avery and Marshall Nirenberg. I also enjoyed having Cobb back on the show because he was the first person I ever interviewed way back in episode 7.
- Sexism in science: did Watson and Crick really steal Rosalind Franklin’s data? by Matthew Cobb. The Guardian 23 June 2015.
- Who Wrote the Book of Life?: A History of the Genetic Code by Lily Kay
- Life's Greatest Secret: The Race to Crack the Genetic Code by Matthew Cobb
- Generation: The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth by Matthew Cobb (Feature in Episodes 6 and 7)
- For more references consult the free episode transcript.